Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kentucky Derby Top 10

1. I Want Revenge (1)
2. Imperial Council (2)
3. Fresian Fire (3)
4. Pioneerof The Nile (4)
5. The Pamplemousse (5)
6. Quality Road (10)
7. Old Fashioned (6)
8. Dunkirk (8)
9. Desert Party (7)
10. Rachel Alexandra (New)

Quality Road is the big mover after his dominant win in the Florida Derby. Many have the horse topping their lists, and im not in a position to dispute that opinion since I gave the horse virtually no shot to win the Florida Derby. I placed him 6 knowing that after this weekend, which see's 4 of my top 10 run, that at least two of them will fall to some degree. (In all likelihood) I like to give those ranked a chance to respond before making room for a new horse at their expense. Those ranked above him are on notice as Quality Road has now set the bar.

Theregoesjojo is dropped off the list. My fear was confirmed as he is simply a miler with a closing kick.

Desert Party fell two spots after losing to his less heralded stablemate in the UAE Derby. To be fair, front runners won about everything at Nad Al Sheba over the weekend, but it was not the type of electric race that you could still be impressed by a runner up finish. With that said, I cant think of many more logical horses to rank above him. He is a good colt, and should factor in major races stateside this year. He'd be a long shot to win, but not a bomb.

Rachel Alexandra makes her way onto the list. I avoided putting her on the list for weeks because its somewhat unfair to rank a horse that's not being pointed to the Derby. I elected to include her now for a couple reasons. One, the connections have left the door open just slightly for a run in the Derby. Secondly, I don't think there are horses any more logical than her that are not ranked. You could make a slight case for Big Drama, but she is less likely to run in the Derby than Rachel.

No comments: